News from Notch Consulting, Inc.

September 26, 2013

Yokohama breaks ground at Mississippi tire plant

Filed under: General, Tires — Notch @ 3:16 pm

On September 23, Yokohama Tire Manufacturing Mississippi (YTMM, which was established by Yokohama Tire Corporation, a subsidiary of Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd.) held a groundbreaking ceremony for its truck and bus tire manufacturing plant at West Point, Mississippi. The new plant is slated to begin operations in October 2015. Yokohama plans to make an initial US$300 million investment in the facility and employ approximately 500 people in the first phase, with possible expansion down the road. The company also plans to construct a plant equipped with production, warehousing, and operations facilities on more than 500 acres of land and will produce up to one million tires annually. This will be Yokohama’s first tire plant in the United States.

Future of Tire Technology conference coming in October

Filed under: Uncategorized — Notch @ 3:06 pm

Smithers Rapra is presenting a conference next month entitled The Future of Tire Technology that will focus on the trends, costs, compliance, automation and technology of making tires to ever-changing specifications, as well as component level tire modeling. The conference will be held October 28-30 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Details here.

Sumitomo breaks ground on Turkish tire plant

Filed under: General, Tires — Notch @ 2:54 pm

On September 18, Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. broke ground on its new $500 million tire plant factory in Cankiri Province, Turkey. Sumitomo owns 80% of the joint venture plant, with the remaining 20% held by Abdulkadir Ozcan Lastik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S., a leading Turkish tire distributor and tiremaker (through Petlas Tire Industry and Trade Co.). The plant will produce radial light truck and passenger car tires with startup scheduled for July 2015 and rampup through late 2019. Capacity will reach 30,000 tires/day by 2019. The company is known as Sumitomo Rubber AKO Lastik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S. (SAT).

Create a free website or blog at